S&S Review: Injustice Gods Among Us

Title: Injustice Gods Among Us
Format: PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U
Release Date: April 16th 2013
Publisher: Warner Bros.
Developer: NetherRealm Studios
Price: $59.99
ESRB Rating: Teen

Injustice Gods Among Us is a game that is certainly not one to miss. NetherRealm Studios has created a fascinating game, mixed with some fascinating DC superheroes. As soon as I opened the box and inserted the disc, I noticed that this game is unlike any other fighter out there. The mix of my favorite superheroes and classic fighting combat is mixed into one game? Awesome. Injustice is certainly a game that deserves the attention of any comic book fan.

Story:
Injustice Gods Among Us offers one of the most fascinating stories I've ever seen in a fighting game. In the first five minutes, I realized that Injustice isn't just some term. Instead, it describes the horrific downfall of the Justice League. The Joker is at it again, this time with the deadliest plan yet, to nuke Metropolis. Thankfully, though, the world has superheroes, that is until those superheroes, and super villains, are transported into a twisted dimension. Batman describes the scene perfectly stating, "I'm in a nightmare," as he looks down upon the new dictator-led Metropolis. The team, consisting of Green Lantern, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and some other heroes/villains thrown in, must take down a powerful man. That man was once a friend and colleague, that man is Superman. These characters and elements work in perfect harmony to create an immersive and deeply satisfying story. I got wrapped around the characters as they made witty comments against their opponents. I felt their pain as they were knocked down in battle, and I was with them when they grouped together to fight evil.
Gameplay:
Injustice is a fighting game, meaning it attracts pros and Joe's from all over the world. To satisfy those players, the experienced NeatherRealm had to create some easy-to-use combat for newbies, all-the-while adding in some neat combos and awesome supers. Most of the combat is fun and easy, but at times it seems that the mechanics and overall gameplay just isn't there. One of those points is in something called the wager system. When I'm low on health, I can activate a wager. This wager will show an explosive animation, then out of nowhere a meter on both sides will appear. This meter is only viewable for a couple seconds and in that timespan, I must press a button to decide if I want to wager my health or super points. This would be a neat system if it had a use limit and stayed on the screen longer. I still haven't mastered the wager bar and probably won't ever because of its difficulty. The game's AI is usually fine, I say usually though because after so many deaths, the difficulty is dropped by a small percentage.  After this drop, the AI seems to become a little bit clumsy. My opponent will sometimes just sit there, waiting for me to perform a combo or to make a move. Other than those issues though, Injustice is a great fighting game for both comic book geeks and hardcore fighting fans. The Mortal Kombat-like similarities are everywhere in Injustice, making it even more fun. The left analog stick steers my character left and right, while pushing it up and down makes my character jump and crouch. The amount of combos is endless in Injustice, and I've never felt a time where holding two buttons down was more satisfying. Injustice's multiplayer isn't bad at all either. It adds a great level of competition to an already fun game. The wager system is often used here too though, making it a little frustrating for someone (like myself) who just wants to fight. The supers make up for it though, making me feel as though I'm in control of my opponents fate. Their defeats aren't as gruesome as the deaths from Mortal Kombat, but they are definitely amusing to the eye.
Final Thoughts: 
Injustice Gods Among Us is one of my favorite fighting games of all time. Its deep story and good combat creates an experience that isn't one to be missed. Sure the game has its small flaws but that doesn't make it unplayable. Its beautiful scenery makes it hard to look away from Injustice, add some cool voice acting to it, and you've got a fantastic fighter.
S&S Rating: 9.0/10
@AgentAbelove

Comments

Popular Posts