S&S Review: Dead Space 3

Title: Dead Space 3
Format: PS3, Xbox 360(reviewed), PC
Release Date: February 5, 2013
Publisher: EA
Developer: Visceral Games
Price: $59.99
ESRB Rating: M

Dead Space 3 is the latest game from Visceral Games, featuring the likes of Isaac Clarke and John Carver.  The third game in the Dead Space series debuts the franchises' first attempt at adding a co-op option.  But does the co-op experience improve the game, or does it take away elements that helped make the game so popular?

Story and Presentation:
When it comes to the Dead Space games, I was always one of the few people, that was on the outside looking in.  But when the third game was announced and I had learned what they were adding to it, I had to try it out for myself.  Even though I've never gotten deep in Dead Space 1 or 2, I still know the story of the engineer, Isaac Clarke.  I know I had to go back and research some of the characters, but in the end, I fully experienced the story that Visceral Games set out to tell.  You'll follow Isaac and John as they explore the snowy planet Tau Volantis, a planet that's believed to be the home world of the Markers.  The story starts off with them trying to find Isaac's missing girlfriend, Ellie, but it quickly unfolds into something a lot bigger and broader.  I love the game's approach at storytelling, it never really pulls you out of the game.  It's similar to Uncharted 3 in that respect, the line between cinematics and gameplay is thinly veiled.  The narrative isn't a complex, story thats layer from inside out, but it manages to keep you interested throughout the lengthy campaign.  The visuals took a huge leap from the last game, apparently the two year development cycle did the game justice.  The icy outside environments of Tau Volantis makes for a gorgeous spectacle to gaze at.  When you're not getting chased by ghoulish deformed creatures, you'll feel obligated to take a look around and admire the nice scenery.  The weather affects alone will have you in awe, visually, the game is technically stunning to look at.  Voice acting is solid all around, and the music is just as haunting as before.  Dead Space's sound design has always been a key element in making the game's horror elements that much greater.  Music fades in and out, only to have it ramp back up when an enemy starts to attack.  It's definitely not an original scare tactic, but it's still pretty effective at making you jump.  I can't say enough about the game's great presentation, it's just something you'll have to experience for yourself.
Core Gameplay:
When you compare Dead Space's gameplay, you can't really constrain it to one genre.  There are a lot of elements from third person shooters and survival horror games, but it does contain the perfect mix from each category.  In terms of the games shooting elements, there's definitely a lot more action than in previous games, and that's probably because of the inclusion of a co-op option.  You would think that blasting away at horrific looking creatures with a buddy might take away from the game's horror elements, but that's not the case at all.  The game still manages to create a lot of frantic moments where it'll jumpstart your heartbeat, and cause you to jump and flinch.  The game still puts it's focus on dismemberment, shooting apart the creatures limbs one by one will be key in your success.  Then when you include the stasis mechanic, it makes shooting off limbs a bit more easier.  The actual shooting feels solid, and when you include all the aforementioned mechanics, it really creates one of the most unique shooting experiences we've had this gen.  The third game also features a new crafting and upgrading system.  Its a nice system where you have to keep an eye on resources scattered across the numerous environments, these resources can go into crafting new weapons, upgrade current weapons, or to improve your RIG suit.  At first, the crafting system didn't really click with me, but quickly turned into a satisfying reward system.  The best way to play the game is with a buddy, but I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me.  But the inclusion a second player can help out with the tougher encounters.  The game doesn't really change when you add another player as well.  When you play it alone, you'll still come across Carver, there's just isn't as much interaction with him.  When you do play it cooperatively, there are a lot more lines of dialogue with each other, and there are a few optional side quests to complete.  That's the biggest why I believe cooperatively is the best way to play.
Final Thoughts:
Dead Space 3 really caught me by surprise, I didn't expect to love the game so much.  The presentation alone is worth the price tag, and with the gameplay added on, there's so much to love about it.  The 15 hour campaign will be thrilling one throughout, and it definitely shouldn't be missed by any fan of the series.
S&S Rating: 9/10
@whatsPlay

Comments

  1. T.C. Elliot2/08/2013

    Nice review... working on one myself, hopefully it will be up tonight just need a few hand crafted images and a title, lol. Anyway, I'm waiting on a friend to play co-op, we both wanna go through fresh but once we do I'd be more than happy to play some co-op with you if your up for it. I loved every second of this one and its probably gonna edge out the first game for my favorite spot in the series after some co-op fun. but until than, keep an eye out for my review and hit me up on PSN if you are up for some gaming, daydreamdrooler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do man, thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never really got into this series. I mean, zombies in space, meh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not Zombies, Necromorphs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. After playing through it today. I have to disagree. I am disappointed in Dead Space 3. I know people were worried about the micro transactions, which didnt affect anything. Playing co op did take away some of the horror. But for once most of the time I actually knew what was going to happen next when something popped up or came around the corner. The story was like any other. Because if you listened after the credits Isaac is still alive and so is Ellie. Matter of fact the story didn't seem like it started to happen until the second half. Not to mention the first half of the game almost seemed pointless. The first few chapters before you got into space were awful. Seemed wonky and stiff. The humans were just there to be there. You were everyones slave it seemed with having to fix whatever broke time after time. The very dark gory dim light areas from dead space two were not here. But more of the outside frozen landscape. The bench was a new edition in which you could craft your weapons. Warning, if you are playing co op with a stranger, you might get stuck with someone that will stop at every single one for lengthy time periods. The puzzles were in parts of three. I do not see myself playing through again know the same parts will happen again. Playing with a friend would definitely make this experience more fun. Because having your co op partner randomly leave gets very old.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The story wasn't the best I've seen, but gameplay wise, you gotta admit that they created a lot of tense and action packed moments. you were right about the random co op buddy, luckily I had a designated partner throughout the campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I would've had a friend to consistently play through the campaign would've made the experience way better. The action pack/clip scenes were the best. Held the game together for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tommy Happy2/14/2013

    I'll be your friend, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there I'm Derek and I planned on picking up the game tomorrow night after my classes. I'm on PS3 and would love to play co-op with someone. You can email me at smiddc26@uwgb.edu. That goes for anyone serious about playing this game and enjoy the story. I'd also like to consistently switch characters with someone so I may enjoy the dimentia that I love about 2. Like do 2 chapters a day then the next day switch characters with someone? Well maybe not that much a day I guess it all depends since I have my Ochem exam to really study for and the analytical chem lab to finish but just email me and I'll get you my number and we can text about when works for both of us. Thanks for chatting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment

Popular Posts